Open/Close Menu Personal Injury Lawyer NJ

A city teenager turned himself into the authorities last night after he left the scene of a crash that has left a 65-year-old pedestrian hospitalized in “very critical” condition, The Jersey Journal reports.

Ansumana Wally, 19, of Bellmont Avenue is charged with leaving the scene of an accident with serious injuries following the 11:30 a.m. incident on the vehicle bridge connecting Lincoln Park to Lincoln Park West.

“I commend my officers for an excellent job in finding the vehicle,” Hudson County Sheriff Frank Schillari said in a statement after Wally surrendered at the Sheriff’s Office headquarters at about 10 p.m. yesterday.

The victim remains on life support at Jersey City Medical Center-Barnabas Health, according to a lead investigator.

Detectives believe the victim was on the sidewalk when he was struck by the GMC Envoy driven by Wally. The 65-year-old was in cardiac arrest when EMTs arrived at the scene, Schillari said today.

A police CCTV camera captured the Envoy stopping on the bridge where someone got out and looked back before getting back into the vehicle and driving away. Using the video and other evidence, detectives were able to get a license plate number and found it was registered to a residence on Belmont Avenue.

Sheriff’s officers then drove through the neighborhood and found the parked Envoy with heavy damage to the front end and a shattered windshield, officials said.

Wally was not home when detectives went to his residence but they spoke to family members. He later surrendered at Hudson County Plaza in Jersey City, official said.

He is expected to make his first court appearance on the charge this afternoon in Central Judicial Processing court in Jersey City.

Schillari said the investigation is ongoing.

Categoryblog, news
Write a comment:


Your email address will not be published.


Disclaimer: This site is provided purely for informational purposes and is in no

way a substitute for legal counsel.