Open/Close Menu Personal Injury Lawyer NJ
Sandra Bland Traffic Stop Video

That is my advice after reading about Sandra Bland and watching the video of her traffic stop by Texas trooper.

Don’t listen to the police because they are always right. They’re not.

Don’t do it because the police always act appropriately. They don’t.

Listen because, whether you like it or not, at that unfortunate moment when you are having an encounter with a police officer, that officerIS the State and fully backed BY the State. You have no chance if you do anything to escalate an encounter with a police officer. He or she will have a taser, billyclub, gun, handcuffs and more cops as backup. Importantly, just because you have not been arrested does not give you the right to disobey or take things to another level. For example, in State v. Crawley, 187 N.J. 440, cert. denied, 549 U.S. 1078, 127 S. Ct. 740, 166 L. Ed. 2d 563 (2006), the New Jersey Supreme Court determined that a defendant commits the crime of obstruction if he disobeys a police command and flees from an investigatory stop—even an unconstitutional one. In State v. Perlstein, 206 N.J.Super. 246(App. Div.1985), the defendant was stopped by a law enforcement officer for having a PBA sticker on her windshield. Id. at 249. The officer even gave her a chance to remove it, but the defendant became uncooperative, refused to remove it, refused to provide her driver’s license and registration, and complained that she was being harassed. Id. at 249–50. The defendant was convicted of violating N.J.S.A. 2C:29–1(Obstructing administration of law or other governmental function).

You should listen to the police.  If you are a victim of police misconduct, you may be able to file a civil action because of it. Don’t make it a wrongful death case, though…. for your sake and the sake of your family and the sake of your kids.

All lives matter.

Write a comment:


Your email address will not be published.


Disclaimer: This site is provided purely for informational purposes and is in no

way a substitute for legal counsel.