A Perth Amboy fire which resulted in life-theatening injuries to a City resident appears to have started on the seat of the woman’s motorized wheelchair, Perth Amboy Fire Chief Abraham Pitre said .
The woman was airlifted to St. Barnabas Medical Center after a fire at 775 Chamberlain Ave. in Perth Amboy Monday, authorities said.
Pitre said firefighters arrived to an apartment unit at about 12:15 p.m. to find heavy smoke and fire.
The woman was lying in bed, with the chair next to her, when the fire started, Pitre said. She was removed from the home by city firefighters.
As of 1:15 p.m., the fire had been extinguished.
|A helicopter transports a woman seriously injured in a Perth Amboy fire believed to have started in a motorized wheelchair|